Strategy and Policy Unit (SPU)
Established in 2008, it is the oldest unit at State House under the regime of President Ernest Bai Koroma and predates even the Office of the Chief of Staff. It was set up to enhance policy analysis and coordination at the Presidency and in assisting the President realize his vision under the Agenda for Change (presently Agenda for Prosperity).
The unit provides technical expertise and strategic advice to His Excellency the President and serves as “in – house think thank” for the presidency. The unit also has mandate to ensure effective coordination and harmonization of policies across government as well as supporting the monitoring and evaluation of government programmes.
Broadly, the purpose of SPU is to support His Excellency in forming and implementing his vision for Sierra Leone. In particular, “the SPU is responsible for identifying and analysing barriers to development, and supporting the implementation of strategies and plans to reduce poverty and promote growth.”
SPU’s key functions cover four broad areas:
- Strategic policy adviceserves as “in-house think tank” for the presidency
- ensuring coherence between the President’s vision and how it is implemented
- Policy analysis and coordination
- conduct in-depth analysis and provide the President with well articulated policy alternatives or scenarios
- ensure that H.E has a sound and informed basis for making executive decisions as well as effectively lead cabinet discussions that will result in effective conclusions
- Implementation support
- collaborates with MDAs to ensure timely delivery of programmes by identifying and unblocking bottlenecks
- Monitoring and Evaluation
- track progress of implementation and assess quality of delivery of programmes across govermenment